Monday 22 October 2012

Winston Invitational, Cobourg ON 2012 - Summary

The contest is over and I am back home with a heavy trophy and a second place! I am very content with my placing, I was up against some great competitors and am proud to qualify for Provincials.

That being said, not everything went as planned and I would definitely change a few things next time. My carb up was pretty moderate as I was being careful not to spill over. I started carbing up as planned, after my last depletion workout on Wednesday, with a bag of rice cakes and proceeded to eat sweet potatoes from then on. However, I shortly discovered that in order to get 550 grams of carbs from sweet potatoes I had to consume over 3kg of sweet potatoes. I think it was a bit of an overkill for my stomach and it gave me indigestion. I did not feel well at all on Thursday, and had to switch back to oatmeal, as it is a more carb dense food choice. By Friday I was fuller, but not nearly as full as I wanted to be. It didn't bug me, as I knew that the crap load on Saturday would take care of it. At 5pm I cut the water out and weighed in at 233lb at 7pm. We went for a steak and veggie dinner at around 9pm and when we came back to the hotel, I started to get vascular and dry. Friday night looked very promising.

I couldn't get much sleep at night, and woke up pretty drained for a spray tan session, at 530am. My breakfast before the session consisted of 2 boiled eggs, a few handfuls of Hershey's white chocolate candies and 2 Snickers'. By the time the spray tan was on I was very thirsty and dehydrated, I lost vascularity and was looking smaller than the night before. We went and got a huge breakfast that represented 4 egg omelet, 2 sausages, 3 waffles, 4 slices of bread with peanut butter and jelly, more Hershey's candies, 3 muffins and a few chocolates. Before the prejudging I had some more junk food, but it did not seem to fill me up anymore. The lack of water definitely played a role in it, I couldn't get a pump and the vascularity was gone, I felt very weak and tired. After the prejudging I had a liter of water with a slice of pizza and a few doughnuts. At this point I figured that I really needed the water to fill up, and had another 3 liters between the prejudging and night show. I also loaded more on 3 burgers, onion rings and doughnuts coming up to the night show. By the time I got on stage, I felt much better and was fuller and got some of the vascularity back. I finished my routine and the pose down, got the award and by the time I got off stage I realized that I still was filling up. Loaded up on some more junk on the way home too. Next morning I was looking much more vascular and bigger.

I figured out a couple things that I would do differently next time to come on stage fuller:

  • I will not drop the water at all. Instead I will cut it back to 5-6 liters on Friday and keep it on Saturday at around 3-4 liters.
  • I will start my junk load on Friday night around 6-7pm

Nevertheless, aside from the few setbacks during the carb up, I am pretty happy with my presentation on stage. The carb rotation diet was definitely a success, as I kept most of the muscle and came pretty lean. I might ease up on the cardio next time around as well, as I noticed that it did not help me much the last 4 weeks of the prep, but instead burned me out. I will only introduce it if I feel that I am not making progress from diet and weights alone.

Thanks everyone for following this journal, I hope this will help you achieve your goals and if you have any questions you can always contact me via emal:info@ivankfitness.com. Good luck with all your fitness goals!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ivan K
 

No comments:

Post a Comment